School of Deaths Review

School of Deaths is a fantasy young adult book written by Christopher Mannino. This is the first installment in The Scythe Wielder's Secret.

Susan Sarnio is essentially kidnapped and taken to the World of Deaths. She is the only girl because females are frowned upon. Suzie is mistreated by her teachers and many of the students who all expect her to fail. Despite this, she is determined to pass the final test and return home. However, along the way several plots are uncovered as well as the fact she might have been brought to the strange, fantastical world for a reason. Suzie also faces the fact that home is not always what it seems.

I love how right from the beginning I was pulled in by the book and did not want to stop reading. The buildup to most of the adventures is excellent. I had a lot of questions that I wanted answered right away, but patience was required because they were all answered when I finished the book. I was able to figure some of the things out early on, which happens to me a lot, but I've learned to deal with it. When Suzie was mistreated in the first several chapters, it made me mad. After all, I'm a girl and my gender is basically being put down. I almost felt like I had stepped back in time to when women were  viewed as lesser figures.  School of Deaths does encounter spiritual areas. There are the Deaths, who reap the souls. At one reaping, the man is expecting angels, not black robed teenagers. An afterlife called Hereafter is in the book, though the Deaths know very little about what happens once you pass through. I really enjoyed reading the parts the contained the 'Mentals. They are so intriguing in my opinion and I really like when Mannino writes how the term magic is used for events we cannot explain.  A bit of romance is in the book, but it is more toward the end which I really appreciate. I don't hate romance novels, but when it consumes an adventure book then we have a slight problem.

I learned that sometimes even though life may seem horrible- as it did for Suzie- there is a greater picture involved, and all of it might not be too bad. There are people in life that want to help you and those that want to hurt you. They good may or may not have a clue of what will happen, where the bad are possibly acting for their own selfish intentions. Life isn't always what it appears to be. I constantly have to remind myself of this.

I really enjoyed reading School of Deaths. Personally, I think it to be a great read to get out of a reading slump ( as I now want to go read all my TBR books).

Rating:
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wordy Wednesday (#6)

The Sword of Summer Review

Harry Potter Book Tag