Book Covers Changing

We've all seen the popular book covers change over time and for different reasons. Sometimes we like them more while the rest we wish they would have just left them alone. And buying these beautiful books also means spending money.

Movies
This is a popular one. The book to movie adaptation comes out and wha bam! New book cover! There are a few I find ok or even just as good such as the cover for Paper Towns or Hunger Games. However, I didn't like the changes for the Divergent series or The Fault in Our Stars. If the cover is going to change for a movie, I want it to be good.

Anniversaries
A book celebrates its anniversary, and the covers are redone in honor of that. Percy Jackson and the Olympians looks cool, but I personally like the old covers better. The same goes for the newer Harry Potter. The scene the spines form are a cool touch. It may be because I grew up with a certain design and now I'm used to it. However, if I were to purchase the series I would go with the older version because it has more meaning and I truly like it better.

Popularity/ New Releases
If the book/series becomes more popular and starts selling more copies, this could be a reason for a change. With some series, the covers change as a new book comes out (which is totally pointless in my opinion even if the new ones are cool). When the sparkly, shiny, new Hunger Games covers came out, I almost wanted to buy them because they seemed really gorgeous. Honestly, they probably just wanted my money.

I feel like sometimes the book covers only change so that the publishers can receive more money. Going back to my last point in the previous paragraph, I already had the series but I considered buying it again. I don't need two of the same book. It would sit there, be pretty, and do nothing. That's one purchase I stepped away from and I'm glad I did because it meant I had more money to buy other books I wanted to read for the first time.

What are your thoughts on how the publishers change the covers? Yay or Nay? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wordy Wednesday (#6)

The Sword of Summer Review

Harry Potter Book Tag