The Sword of Summer Review

The Sword of Summer is the first book in the Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard series, written by Rick Riordan. The genre is mythology.

"Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother’s mysterious death, he’s lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers.

One day, he’s tracked down by a man he’s never met—a man his mother claimed was dangerous. The man tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god.

The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years.

When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision.

Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die . . ."~ Goodreads

As soon as I heard Magnus and Annabeth were cousins I was sold. I could not wait to get my hand on this book and read it in one sitting. Riordan does not disappoint. I fell in love with this book in the first chapter and for the rest of the story I was enticed. Magnus has a great sense of humor and his friends make everything even better. The some of the gods are quite funny how they are depicted. Even though I went in knowing nothing about Norse mythology, the world was beautifully but together and described and I caught on quickly. There is no need to go watch the Thor movies beforehand.

I thought it was a bit strange to have your main character die in the first couple chapters, but as I read on I saw how it fit in with the plot and probably would have been strange if he had lived. Magnus and Sam reminded be a bit of Percy and Annabeth when they first met, how they would have their little disagreements and threaten to kill someone.  I think it is so cool how there are things mentioned that relate back to the Percy Jackson series.I love the fact that Magnus is left handed partly because I'm left handed and how many authors take the time to differentiate on this subject matter? Swords are officially the coolest weapon ever. Don't argue with me on this. The sword was probably my favorite "character."

I wish the second book would come out sooner, but Trials of Apollo comes out in May so I'll pass the time of the antagonizing wait with that and possible reread The Sword of Summer because it is so amazing.
Rating:

Comments

  1. I skimmed this review a little bit so I wasn't spoiled, but I'm so happy you liked it because I really need to get my hands on a copy of this! Also love those little penguins ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I put any spoilers in my review that aren't in the description or Riordan revealed ahead of time. Better safe than sorry though:)
      Thanks, to liking the penguins!

      Delete
  2. I just recently purchased this. I wasn't a fan of the Percy Jackson series so when I picked the book up and read the first few pages and liked it I knew I had to have it. From what I read, I had already fell in love with Mangus' voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magnus' voice is pretty awesome! I'm sorry to hear you didn't like Percy Jackson, but I guess it isn't for everyone.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter Book Tag

Wordy Wednesday (#6)