I Am Number Four Review

I Am Number Four is the first installment in the Lorien Legacies series written by Pittacus Lore. The genre is science fiction.

"Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books--but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. We have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.
I am next."~Goodreads

Yes, I know I'm a bit late on reading this. However, I still wanted to review it and give my two cents on the novel. I normally don't read alien stories because they're all similar. Extraterrestrial beings wanting to take over or destroy earth in a horrific way. But here we have a good group trying to save themselves and humanity all while being hunted down. Sounds pretty awesome to me.

Our main character is Four, who goes by John currently. He's a pretty good character. He listens -for the most part- to his guardian, but still knows what he wants. Four does make some stupid decisions. Ok, all of the characters do. I don't think all of them had a huge impact but there are a few glaring ones when I wanted to smack some people. His relationship with Sarah is sweet. But I'm sorry, it's a bit weird to miss someone and call them after you just talked and hung out together for two hours. I like the female that enter towards the end (I won't say who because of spoilers). The characters did turn out well at the end.

The world building is fantastic. Some books everything gets shoved at you at once, but all the information was trickled through the story so I wasn't drowning. The action scene at the end was amazing. I flew through it fast because I was desperate to know what had happened. There is one part that wasn't revealed and I'm dying to know what it is.

These are just a few randoms tidbits that really don't fit anywhere. I think it is really sad how the kids are raised by their grandparents because you basically grow up not knowing your parents. Blending in is good if you're trying to hide. However, that doesn't mean cussing is necessary. It wasn't bad or frequent since it was mainly one character at a few different times so it was bearable. I just wanted to put my thoughts down there. When evolution was discussed it made me squirm. Not too frequent, but because of my beliefs I was uncomfortable reading those parts. Some things were obvious after a while; the pieces just had to be connected (though I won't say what either). I also have a hunch about the mysterious bundle.

I'm expecting myself to fly through the rest of the series rather quickly. I want it to be in John's head for the rest of the books but I also want to be inside the others' heads.
Rating: (more like 4.75)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wordy Wednesday (#6)

The Sword of Summer Review

Harry Potter Book Tag