Halflings Review

Halflings is by Heather Burch and is the first book in the trilogy.  It's in the paranormal genre.

"Discoveries

After being inexplicably targeted by an evil intent on harming her at any cost, seventeen-year-old Nikki finds herself under the watchful guardianship of three mysterious young men who call themselves halflings. Sworn to defend her, misfits Mace, Raven, and Vine battle to keep Nikki safe while hiding their deepest secret—and the wings that come with.

A growing attraction between Nikki and two of her protectors presents a whole other danger. While she risks a broken heart, Mace and Raven could lose everything, including their souls. As the mysteries behind the boys’ powers, as well as her role in their earthly mission, unfold, Nikki is faced with choices that will affect the future of an entire race of heavenly beings, as well as the precarious equilibrium of the earthly world.
"~Goodreads

I definitely  read this more for the plot than the characters, though I did like them. The whole reasoned I picked up the book was because it sounded interesting. So it was a little disappointing when I felt the focus wasn't on the plot as much as it could've been. Stuff happened, we learn a lot, but somethings missing in my opinion. I can say I've never read a book like this before-the concept is different.

I did not like Nikki when the book started out. It's not that she's an annoying character, I just didn't like her personality. I like her fashion sense though. Towards the end of the book and after some development she started to grow on me. The boys were spectacular. They all were so different and well developed. By the end you can see all the layers to their character.

There was a little bit of logic that I'm still questioning because it made no sense to me. Burch did a good job keeping me guessing. I was changing my mind about things almost the whole time (and still don't have all the answers I want!).

While the book didn't hold as much as I was expecting, I'm still pleased with the outcome. For those who like paranormal I would say to pick this one up.

"Humility was ugly when it was false."
"Pride is the archenemy of humility…"
"…all the forces he'd observed, none proved stronger than this. The power of pure love."

Rating:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sword of Summer Review

Harry Potter Book Tag

Wordy Wednesday (#6)