Unraveling Review

Unraveling is by Elizabeth Norris and is the first book in the series. It is sci-fi/romance.

Unraveling (Unraveling, #1)"Sixteen-year-old Janelle Tenner is used to having a lot of responsibility. She balances working as a lifeguard in San Diego with an intense academic schedule. Janelle's mother is bipolar, and her dad is a workaholic FBI agent, which means Janelle also has to look out for her younger brother, Jared.

And that was before she died... and is brought back to life by Ben Michaels, a mysterious, alluring loner from her high school. When she discovers a strange clock that seems to be counting down to the earth's destruction, Janelle learns she has twenty-four days to figure out how to stop the clock and save the planet."~Goodreads

Almost the instant I started reading I was sucked in. There's no hesitation in getting the story started. As of late, I feel like I'm getting more into sci-fi, and finding something that wasn't typical was like  a breath of fresh air. And when the speed picked up in the later part of the book and all the information falling into place, it was hard not to fall in love.

If I had it my way there would be less romance. I didn't hate it but at times I felt like enough was enough. At least there weren't those "please move on, the world is ending. Stop enjoying each other" moments.

Let's address the fact that the two main characters are on the cover. That fine, and it helps create a character image, but it doesn't allow the imagination to kick in as much for them. I was able to change the look of Ben slightly and that was about it.

I really liked Janelle. I definitely could relate to her, just with some of the things she experienced. Her dad being part of the FBI force was so cool. However, I was my at her when she first dumped someone. Really, that soon in the story? I got over it eventually. But I admire how she keeps going and tries to save the world.

Ben Michaels. I loved his character. He's the really smart guy (and I like smart guys in books)
Elijah, one of the friends, tended to use the f-word a lot. As in every other sentence. I started using white out halfway through the book. Alex is one of those great best friends most people would love to have.

Unraveling is fast-paced with great sci-fi, and definitely worth reading!

Do I want to find out what happens in the second book? Sort of. Am I going to get to it anytime soon? Nope.

Rating: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wordy Wednesday (#6)

The Sword of Summer Review

Harry Potter Book Tag