Crown of Midnight Review

Crown of Midnight is the second book in the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas. It is fantasy.

""A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.

It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend."


From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.
Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie... and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for."~Goodreads

I went in to the story without reading the summary so I had no clue what was coming. That definitely added to the suspense level. I'm having a hard time coming up with words for this amazing book.

Oh my goodness. I'm so close to being obsessed with this series. The writing and the story keeps getting better and better. Maas' writing continues to astound me, which is saying a lot considering it's only the second book I've read from her. If J.K. Rowling wasn't already the queen of writing I would say Maas would be. The characters, the plot, everything spills magic (literally and metaphorically).

"Whether you like it or not, you are bound to the fate of this world."

This book was a roller-coaster of feelings. My ship got destroyed for the second time in a row and I was tempted to go destroy something. And then there was the possibility of it surviving. I'm probably way too emotionally invested in fictional characters lives. There was one point that I wished something hadn't happened because it seemed like a terrible writing idea, and then all of a sudden it was one of the greatest things ever.

At points in novels I get random thoughts. My one for this book is: well someone was having mood swings, in reference to Celaena. If you've already read the book you might now what I'm talking about. It was slightly amusing watching her shifts in attitude.

I'm trying to convince my mom to take me to the bookstore this week to pick up the third book, Heir of Fire, because I need to know what happens. So yes, I think everyone should at least give the series a try.

Rating: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sword of Summer Review

Harry Potter Book Tag

Wordy Wednesday (#6)