Allegiant Movie Review

As some of you may know, I wasn't the happiest when the trailer for Allegiant released. I'm a big fan of the movie following the book and it looked like it hadn't. So I told myself if I wanted to see it I would wait to rent it, and I did.

Caution: there may be spoilers. Read at your own risk.


"Tris (Shailene Woodley) escapes with Four (Theo James) to journey beyond the wall that encloses Chicago. For the first time, they leave the only city and family they have ever known to find a peaceful solution. Once outside, they learn shocking new truths that render old discoveries meaningless. As the ruthless battle threatens humanity, Tris and Four quickly decide who to trust to survive. Tris must ultimately make difficult choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice and love."

After the movie finished the main thing I noticed was how they seemed to keep the book but twisted it around. The first time they went outside the wall I was screaming how there was supposed to be overgrowth, not toxic wasteland. I don't see how that helped anything. The second thing was all the technology. In the book, the planes are still beat up. Now all of a sudden they have magnificent flying machines and surveillance technology (that was creepy and cool at the same time). It definitely added more action to the movie. Another thing was I felt like they made the book more about the city than the bureau. They kept the memory serum, but changed that to wipe the cities memories. The CGI could've been better in my opinion.

I remember Allegiant being a slower book, so I'm glad they found a way to turn it into a movie with lots of action, and quite surprised it's going to be two movies. Since the plot has taken a different turn from that of the book, I'm interested the see where it goes. I'm glad they kept the damaged/pure aspect. However, I'll probably still wait to rent it.

The actors were really good. If I can believe that you're the character than that's great. David was manipulative, and while I knew this I didn't really see the twists coming. Tris and Four actually have a real disagreement for once. I like how there love is so strong though they work through it very quickly. (And Theo and Shailene are terrific at playing the parts.) Peter really gets to me. He picks whichever side, and for once it's not working out. I'm hoping he'll learn a lesson. Caleb is just pure lucky at this point. Plus, I do love when there's rebels within the walls.

I'm sorry if my review seemed a little long, I apparently had a lot of thoughts. While Allegiant isn't my favorite movie, I did enjoy watching it.There's so many book to movie adaptation withing the next year, I can see money going out the window.

Rating: 4.25

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sword of Summer Review

Harry Potter Book Tag

Wordy Wednesday (#6)