Splintered Mini Review

Splintered is written by A.G. Howard and is the first book in the series. It's a retelling of Alice in Wonderland.

12558285"This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence.

Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.
When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own."~Goodreads

The majority of us know the Lewis Carroll version of Alice.And since I'm being honest, it was never my favorite thing in the world. But somehow the synopsis made me want to read this and I went for it.

And I don't regret it.

The writing was beautiful and descriptions done thoroughly. Howard kept me in suspense the whole time. Personally, the plot twists were well done and couldn't have been any better. The main characters had a lot of depth to them, which sometimes we don't see. And let me say, Alyssa had a problem choosing one of the guys and I don't know which one I like more either. Part of the book I wanted one, then the other, then the first one, then both. They both have their bad sides and downfalls which makes them even more likable.

There were some parts that were a bit "dirtier" such as the dancing on the table. Overall though there's not much I didn't like, even if at some points I wanted to slap a certain character upside the head and be like "you do not be like that towards that person."

I really like where the story left off so I'm kind of iffy about finishing the rest of the series. It was a fun read and a good retelling!

Rating: 


Comments

  1. I've tagged you in the BFF Book Tag challenge! Take a look--- http://nevermindbooks.blogspot.com/2016/04/niccolie-junsay-of-drowned-with-books.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wordy Wednesday (#6)

The Sword of Summer Review

Harry Potter Book Tag