The Great Gatsby Review

The Great Gatsby is by F. Scott Fitzgerald and is a classic.

Who is that supposed to be
on the cover anyway?
"THE GREAT GATSBY, F. Scott Fitzgerald’s third book, stands as the supreme achievement of his career. This exemplary novel of the Jazz Age has been acclaimed by generations of readers. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan, of lavish parties on Long Island at a time when The New York Times noted “gin was the national drink and sex the national obsession,” it is an exquisitely crafted tale of America in the 1920s.

The Great Gatsby is one of the great classics of twentieth-century literature."~Goodreads

I liked the book. While I know people who have read the book multiple times, I don't see myself in that boat. I found myself either wanting to slap a character or rolling my eyes at one for at least half the book. There are lessons to be learned in The Great Gatsby, however, the lifestyle of the characters should most definitely not be followed. That's one of the elements that I found myself disliking. It made for a good story, but when almost everyone is involved in some sort of scandal (if the description doesn't make that obvious), it really detracts.

I did like Nick. He made for a good narrator and I liked seeing his thought process. There's also a side character who I also liked. As for main characters besides Nick, Jordan was my other favorite. She was involved in her own way with everyone's life, but wasn't at the same time. Gatsby was intriguing.  He was very complexThe ending were my favorite parts, partly because any scandalous material isn't there. Plus, the way the story wraps up is interesting.

Do read this book. Even if the characters can be really annoying, it's worth at least one read. If it hadn't been for school I wouldn't have read it, but there is some good content. In addition, Fitzgerald wrote it excellently; it sucks you in and makes you want to discover the secrets in the love of the characters. It's a pretty easy read, but will still have you thinking in several places.

Rating: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter Book Tag

The Sword of Summer Review

Wordy Wednesday (#6)